If you have an active YouTube channel, then consider yourself among an elite class of creators online. We are brave enough to publish content on one of the most sophisticated platforms available to us for free on the internet.
Kudos to you!
YouTube can be especially useful for those of us who belong to the YouTube Partner Program, which comes with several perks, including the ability to monetize our channels in multiple ways. For example partners can earn from:
- Channel Memberships
- Donations through Super Chat, Super Stickers and Applause
- Hopefully there is more to come!
One unique feature offered by YouTube is the ability to send people off-platform through something known as a YouTube info card or an End Screen.
Watch this video: How to Use YouTube Cards and End Screens
What are YouTube Cards and End Screens
Essentially, someone watching a video on YouTube will see an icon appear at the top right of the screen which they can click for more information. Eligible YouTube creators like you and me can choose to add a clickable link to this info card that sends viewers to: watch more videos on YouTube, or to another website!
Holy cats, did I just say ANOTHER WEBSITE? Yup! I sure did.
Just to be clear, this is a YouTube update that can make our lives as a video creator so much easier! The new policy (as of July 2021) is as follows:
If you only knew what a pain in the neck it was to add “an associated website”!
Just for the record, scrolling through the loooong list of approved merchandise and crowdfunding websites to see if your favorite appeared on the list, was no walk in the park either! This update is good for everyone, including viewers! Let's face it, most of us were adding a bunch of links to the description box below our videos.
Recommended merchandise vendor: Press N Sow
Now viewers no longer need to scroll down to get to those super important links we want them to click, they can simply tap on the screen to be taken to our destination of choose. Simple, easy and fast.
Watch this video to see how it works: YouTube Card Links Update
With this change, I have some suggestions about sites you can link to directly (as long as they comply with YouTube's Community Guidelines and Terms of Service) but this is only the beginning.
- Podcast episodes on Anchor, Apple Podcast, Spotify or any podcast player of your choice
- Products or books on Amazon, B&H, etc.
- Landing pages and Link in Bio pages
- Songs on Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal, etc.
- Articles on other websites
- Apps in the Play Store or Apple Apps
- Affiliate products or sponsors
- Social Media Pages (Clubhouse, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.)
- Videos on other platforms (Loom, Vimeo, LinkedIn, Amazon, etc.)
- Print on Demand Shops
- And more (see the list below) can you think of anything else?
You may already be using a WordPress plugin (like Pretty Links or 301 Redirect) to add these links. But now you don't have to open WordPress or use another tool to generate your link, which saves time and you uses less resources on your website. This also benefits creators that don't have a WordPress blog or a website.
More about Monetization on YouTube and Beyond
Even if you are not part of the YouTube Partner Program, you can still earn money on YouTube. Lots of creators do this with:
- Affiliate Marketing
- Products (Art, Books, Courses, Custom Merch, Digital Goods, etc.)
- Events (Webinars, Paywalled Live Streams, etc.)
- Donations from viewers through sites like Buy Me a Coffee which I highly recommend!
More YouTube Updates and Monetization Ideas
- 6 Passive Income Ideas that ACTUALLY Make Money Roberto Blake
- So. Many. Launches. Shorts Tools Available Globally, Dark Mode Desktop, Stories Metrics, and MORE! Creator Insider
- Minimum eligibility requirements to turn on monetization features YouTube Help
- How to Get Support From Your Audience in The Creator Economy Video
A word of caution, now that you know you can link to more of your favorite websites, don't over do it and go adding tonnes of links to your videos. Keep the viewer in mind and only add a link when you think it's really important for them. You don't want to ruin the relationships you have spent so much time building with your audience. Be strategic and use YouTube card links responsibly.
One last suggestion, as you plan your next video try to say less of this: Click the link in the description box below; and say more of this: Click the on the video at the top…